22 September 2007

CONCERT REVIEW: This is a pic of a Damian Marley concert in September 2006 when he opened for Ben Harper at the Merriweather Pavillion in Maryland. I'm not sure why he's the opening act for Ben Harper and the boring ass Innocent Criminals (although Ben Harper is fyne, how did Laura Dern snag him? One of life's mysteries!). Anyway, tons left after Damian's show. Let me just say, he's absolutely terrific in concert. His show is very spirited yet organized. I love the Rasta who waves the giant Rastafarian flag while running across stage for the entire set. What exactly is this man's title? Staff cheerleader? I always think he's going to hit Damian in the back of the head with that enormous flag pole, but he's acutely aware of where everyone is at all times. Those impressive depth perception skills! He's not that young either, but spry nonetheless. So back to the show - I love Damian; he's an intelligent writer and a strong emcee. You can also tell he's a perfectionist by the way he completely owns the stage. Every last detail of his show is polished; the background singers are flawlessly choreographed, and they sing with such intense passion, you wouldn't believe they do it 6 nights a week. I saw him perform during Howard's homecoming and I was so close I could see that with one glance, or a quick finger gesture, his musicians and support staff knew exactly what to do. You get the feeling the singers are like "Oh Jah, if I don't hit this mark, or if my vocals don't gloriously soar over this melody, Damian is going to take me out back and beat me with reeds... again!" I guess this all this comes with being a professional, but I've seem some lousy shows in my day, and I can honestly say the Marleys give 110% every time, trust! I read somewhere that Damian & company smoke a substantial amount of weed before and after every show. You might smoke too much when 8 lbs has no apparent effect. Towards the end of the show, his brothers Stephen and Julian come out to help sing some Bob Marley classics. I love DM's album, but to me, this was the apex of the show. I know they tend to roll together, but I was still totally surprised. The accompanying clip is taking forever to upload, so hopefully it won't error, so y'all can get a taste. Lata!

2 comments:

VertigoVirgo said...

When did you go to a Damien Marley concert?

Chikee said...

i went a month before we saw him at homecoming. i purchased a single ticket and caught a bus from NY and rented a car to check it out. my intent was to review the concert to build up my review portfolio. One day i'm gonna do this professionally.